Sunday 5 November 2017

What I've Been Listening To - October 2017

I haven't posted on here for a few weeks. I've been a busy man. I went on tour for 2 weeks. I've been picking up shifts at my jobs (gotta earn them dollar bills y'all). I've started writing articles for Invicta Magazine, which I'm super stoked about. The latter is one of the biggest factors for me ignoring this blog, which has been completely unintentional if I'm honest. I've just devoted more of my time to Invicta. But, that said, I am going to try and balance my time between both and keep this one alive. I like writing innit. And I like listening to music and telling you, whoever you are, what I think of it. I mean no one could be reading this at all. The website is telling me people are reading it but for all I know it could just be my dad refreshing the page a few hundred times to make me feel good about myself. If you are doing that dad, thank you, it's working. But just in case people actually do read this, I'm gonna carry on. And with that in mind, here's some stuff I've been listening to in October, both whilst on tour and whilst working.



Veil Of Maya - False Idol

After the release of their previous album Matriarch, Veil Of Maya really came into their own. Musically they've always been incredible, but the addition of Lukas Maygar provided them with something they hadn't had before. That something was range. A vocalist that not only had a punishing scream, but an incredible set of pipes on him with the ability to perform intricate and melodically impressive cleans. Matriarch was something special, and False Idol continues to impress. Doublespeak is full of pit-worthy riffs and an enormous soaring chorus. Whistleblower is pure filth, and has the potential to snap a few necks with some infectiously catchy riffs. Pool Spray is heavier than heavy, winding and bending through passage after passage of sheer brilliance. The entire album is proof that they've found their formula and know how to use it. If you aren't a fan of this band yet, now is the time to become one.



Movements - Feel Something

I'd never heard of these guys before until I saw Counterparts tweet about them. The tweet was very complimentary, basically saying that if you don't like the new record you're stupid. A bold claim, I thought, so I checked it out. And it's wonderful. Not what I expected at all, considering the type of music the band that mentioned them dabble with. I'd class it as a blend of pop punk and emo; very emotionally driven but catchy in all the right places, and also very chilled out at times too. Think Boston Manor and La Dispute having a baby, but that baby being brought up by Taking Back Sunday. Don't just take my word for it, go and check out single Colorblind and album track Third Degree. If you like what you hear, you'll love the album.



The Used - The Canyon

This is one of the first records I was sent to review for Invicta, and it's honestly one of the best albums I've heard all year. I've been a huge fan of The Used for a very long time, ever since the release of In Love And Death over a decade ago. Their more recent material was harder for me to get in to. Perhaps that was because my music tastes had changed. Maybe the newer material simply wasn't as good. But, regardless, my first listen of The Canyon made me feel the way I used to feel about this band. It was nostalgic, yet still managed to sound refreshing and current. Single Over and Over Again is a slice of emo pop-tinged gold, with an unforgettable chorus and a super catchy verse riff. Vertigo Cave has got one of those riffs in it that I can refer to as THAT RIFF, because when it happens you'll know exactly which one I'm on about. Moon-Dream is a chilled out orchestral masterpiece. The Nexus is a gospel-feeling southern tinged creeper, drifting in and out of both the calm and the storm. The whole album is just brilliant. If you ever loved this band, or have ever been a fan of emo, this album is completely worth your time. Check out my full review for Invicta Magazine here.



36 Crazyfists - A Snow Capped Romance

Reviewing Lanterns last month reignited my flame for 36 Crazyfists, and as a result I started to re-listen to their back catalogue. For me, the album that gets me into a band tends to remain my favourite. And that is definitely the case here. A Snow Capped Romance is full of so much nostalgia for me, and provides me with visual memories when I listen to certain songs. I remember finishing my classwork really fast one science lesson and listening to Skin And Atmosphere with my friend, sharing a headphone each. I remember sitting in my bedroom and repeatedly pressing pause and play to try and figure out how to play Destroy The Map. I remember the time when Kenai was the heaviest song I'd heard up to that point, and falling completely in love with heavy music. And as for Bloodwork, I honestly can't remember having a song on repeat quite as much as when this came out. This was a really important album for me, and it hugely shaped my musical tastes going forwards. If you've never checked this out and like the heavier side of metalcore, this album is essential listening.



Gideon - Cold

Whilst on tour, we had the absolute pleasure of playing a show with In Hearts Wake, Gideon and Silent Screams. We honestly get so lucky having the opportunity to play shows like these, especially with bands this big in the scene right now. Gideon are a massive influence on our guitarist, Andy, and since discovering them a few years back I'd be lying if I said I wasn't influenced by them too. Cold, their newest offering, is a continuation of what they do best. Writing big riffs and big breakdowns and delivering them with class. Cursed is an undeniable mosh anthem, and can open a pit within the first 10 seconds (which they proved with ease at the show). Freedom is a Hatebreed like hardcore anthem, actually featuring guest vocals from Jamey Jasta himself. Walk Alone is heavy as sin, pulling no punches and hitting hard chug after chug. All the material sounds insanely huge live, and they were easily my band of the night. I like to think of these guys as a way more angry and pissed off The Ghost Inside. If that sounds like it might be your cup of tea, it most likely will be. Drink up.



As per usual, if you think there's something that I should be listening to or something that you think is worth reviewing, let me know! I'll listen to literally anything and I could talk about music literally forever, so nothing is off the card. Just sling us a message and I'll check out whatever you suggest, and I'll be as honest as I can be about what I hear.

As mentioned at the top, I will be actively trying to write more for this blog going forwards and balancing my focus between this and Invicta. Expect to see a rise in the amount of things I post in the near future. Thanks for reading!

D.S
x

No comments:

Post a Comment