Thursday 23 November 2017

Every Time I Die - Rescue Rooms, Nottingham, 15/11/17

You know the last gig review I did? Where I said I hadn't been to a gig in a long time? Yeah, well, that's been quickly rectified. This show was my second show in 2 days, and who better to spend that time with than Every Time I Die and their their loyal cult of Etidiots. Little bit of personal backstory; Every Time I Die are my favourite band of all time, and have been for well over 10 years. The first time I heard about them was by attending a My Chemical Romance show in Wolverhampton, and they were they main support. Up until that day, I hadn't heard anything that made me feel or react the way their set did. The next day I went to my local HMV in Tamworth (RIP) and bought a copy of Gutter Phenomenon, and the rest is history. I went on to track down the rest of their back catalogue, as well as buy every new record when it comes out. I used to listen to the songs and read the lyric booklet to ensure I had all of Keith Buckley's cryptic, sarcastic and intricate words memorised. More importantly, though, every time they come over to our shores I make sure I attend at least one date on the tour. I've lost count of how many times I've seen them, I just know it's a lot. Which brings me to this show. And I was excited.

Higher Power

Opening the show was Higher Power, a band who I've heard of but never listened to. I made an assumption that they would be a hardcore band, and I was sort of right. Musically they sounded like old school metal with a modern hardcore feel. Even the guitar tone was similar to old Metallica records, which gave the thick chordy riffs an even more classic feel. The vocals were completely unexpected, though. I guess nowadays you just expect new bands in this scene to have a screamer as a vocalist. This was the opposite; none at all. I didn't latch onto it straight away, and found it kind of difficult to get my head around at first. By the time their set had ended, though, they had completely won me over. I was appreciatively nodding along to every riff, scrunching my face at all the dirty bits. It was great. This is exactly the kind of band I expect the boys to bring on tour. Something a little bit different.

Knocked Loose

Next up was the main support, Knocked Loose. These guys have been rapidly developing a fan base both in this country and in their homeland of the USA, and for good reason. They're unique. I joined the party fashionably late, only getting into their most recent release Laugh Tracks a couple of months ago, but now I'm at the party I don't want to leave. 11 tracks of heavy, sludgy, unrelenting noise. I was so intrigued to see if they could pull it off live, and unsurprisingly, they did. In places it was like watching them record the album. Highlights of the set for me were the obnoxiously heavy Oblivions Peak and single Billy No Mates. But I've got to give a special mention to No Thanks going straight into the minute long moshfest that is Counting Worms, complete with loud and enthusiastic barking from the crowd. If that didn't warm the crowd up for the oncoming storm, I don't know what would.

Every Time I Die. Photography by Ryan Winstanley

And so, it's time. The boys. Every Time I Die took the stage. Before I go on talking about their set, it's worth noting a few things. Jordan Buckley (guitar) broke his foot the previous night, but still walked out on stage with a special boot-cast. Their drummer Dan Davison left a couple of months ago, and had been replaced on this run by Norma Jean's drummer affectionately referred to as Goose. Keith also took a moment to let us know that the zipper on his jeans had broken, which although wasn't as serious as the issues previously mentioned, was still an issue. Amidst a wall of feedback and guitar wails, they launched straight into No Son Of Mine without warning. The room erupted with approval; a pit opened up before the first chord had finished and hordes of people were spitting the lyrics straight back at the stage (myself included). They then began playing Floater, another big favourite amongst fans, and the pit just got bigger and wilder. The chaos had already begun.

Every Time I Die. Photography by Ryan Winstanley

They continued to storm through a mixture of both new and old material stretching all over their back catalogue. From the recent belter with a hilarious video I Didn't Want To Join Your Stupid Cult Anyway all the way back to old mosh-tastic Romeo A Go-Go, the latter of which I'd never seen them perform before. Crowd favourites Bored Stiff and Underwater Bimbos From Outer Space went down an absolute storm, with every single guitar note hitting like a ton of bricks, and lighter more party anthem-like tracks We'rewolf and The New Black almost echoed through the venue due to the number of people singing along. They may have been injured, and they may have had some line-up complications, but this was possibly the tightest I've ever seen them. Jordan was still running about and jumping around like his foot wasn't in a cast at all, Goose was faultless behind the kit, and Keith's zipper didn't cause him too many issues. They closed the set with the opener of Low Teens, the heavy and crushing Fear and Trembling. A weighty, wall of noise to bring a chaotic night to an end. I was left speechless. So was most of the crowd. Their longest set I've ever seen, and also their best. They didn't disappoint. But, to be honest, they never do.


The tour left the country for the second time a couple of days back, and now they have the legendary Comeback Kid along for the ride too. If you managed to get to a show, you know how mind blowingly good it was. If you didn't, trust me, you NEED to see these guys in the future. There's no show like an Every Time I Die show.

D.S
x

No comments:

Post a Comment