Thursday 16 November 2017

Counterparts - Rescue Rooms, Nottingham, 14/11/17

I haven't attended a show in a while. I mean I KIND OF have, but at the same time, not really. All depends on your perspective. I toured with my band last month, but as I was performing I don't class that as attending at all. I was there because I had to be there, not because I chose to be. I mean I DID choose to be in the band, but I'm only there because of being in the band. Not to say I wouldn't go and watch us. I would. Erm. This got very confusing very quickly. I'll start again.



I haven't attended a show in a while, and I thought it was about time I showed my face and went to something. Seeing as I enjoyed the newest Counterparts record so much, it seemed like the perfect gig to attend. I even said in my review of the album (which you can find on this blog, not sorry for the shameless self plug) that I was intrigued to see how the new material came across live, so this was the perfect opportunity to do so. The last time I saw them was when they supported Architects and Every Time I Die a few years back, and I wasn't the biggest fan of them back then. That's very much not the case now. And I was pumped to attend this show.

Napoleon (Photography by Thomas Smith)

Naploeon kicked off the evening with their unique technical take on melodic hardcore. They were tight and precise as they always are, blazing their way through material off most recent album Newborn Mind as well as a new track and a couple of oldies. Despite their impressive musical display, the crowd just seemed to not respond at all other than with occasional appreciative head banging. This is the second time I've seen them get slept on live, and it completely baffles me. They're one of the best bands of their size in my opinion, I don't know why everybody else can't see what I see.

Polar (Photography by Thomas Smith)

Next to take the stage was London hardcore vets Polar. It's been a few years since I saw them perform, the last time being at my local pub in Derby to about 15 people. They've been working hard the last few years, and it was great to see them perform to a near full room in a much bigger venue than a pub. They managed to get some movement from the crowd too, quickly getting the audience on side and encouraging mass headbanging and the occasional bit of pitting. Their sound was huge too; this was definitely the most polished and professional performance I've seen from them. They nicely warmed the crowd up for what was about to happen.

Counterparts (Photography by Thomas Smith)

And finally, the main event. Counterparts. They took to the stage and immediately burst into Bouquet, and the pace didn't slow down for the entire show. Littered with plenty of material off the new record You're Not You Anymore alongside some golden oldies such as Choke, Burn and The Disconnect, their set was unrelenting and perfectly structured. They played Thieves too, which is one of the heaviest tracks off the new record, and it was the musical version of being punched in the face by a bear. And the bear had worked out. It was so heavy, and more importantly, it was so together. Musically they were unbelievably tight throughout the show, and yet still managed to convey a sense of rawness and ferocity at all times. They had a bit of banter with the crowd too, and looked like they were having fun throughout the show. I love seeing bands having a good time. And the crowd were lapping it up, as was I. This was one of those shows that makes you feel, as a musician, completely void of talent and ability. But, at the same time, it instills you with a desire to be as good as that. To have that exact same impact on others. To put it simply, they absolutely smashed it, and I've left the show an even bigger fan of the band than I entered.


If you're reading this and you're based near any of the remaining dates, I fully recommend going to this show. Their level of musicianship is so high that it genuinely made me wonder why I even bother trying to make music. Even if you aren't into the supports that much, the ticket price is worth paying for Counterparts alone. Do the right thing. Go and do a bit of a mosh to some solid melodic hardcore from one of the best bands in the scene.

D.S
x

No comments:

Post a Comment