Saturday 9 September 2017

Comeback Kid - Outsider

Comeback Kid are one of the most important bands in their genre to have come out of Canada. Alongside Alexisonfire, Cancer Bats, Silverstein to name a few, Comeback Kid are a band who have become both masters and pioneers of the punk/hardcore scene, and have paved the way and inspired countless bands that have followed them. Or so I'm told. Personally, I haven't listened to them much at all. I've always seen so much hype around them, and I've seen people that are into them REALLY praise the band. I, for some reason, just never really got round to giving them a spin. So I thought it was about time I paid them some attention. What better time to do it than for their newest release?


I sort of knew what to expect. Sort of. The only other album I'd listened to was Wake The Dead which came out 12 years ago. Aggressive, fast, heavy in places, polished hardcore. Bands can change a lot in that amount of time, but I assumed that they wouldn't have changed the formula too much, just honed in on what they were good at and made it better. And that, from my perspective, is exactly what they've done. Right from the opening title track "Outsider", they begin to warm you up for what's to come. A punky, tasteful and gradual build, transitioning into a fast paced and snare driven verse with Andrew Neufield (vocals) snarling his vocals right in your face, followed by an anger filled fist bumping chorus. The vocals are an enormous improvement on what I'd previously heard, full of venom and anger, expertly delivered. The second song "Surrender Control" followed suit, and it blew me away. An absolute powerhouse of a track. The verse riff is a meaty slice of hardcore, impossible not to bang your head to, and it explodes into a huge chorus complete with gang chants and an immediately memorable hook. Two tracks in, and I'm already excited for the rest of the album. The third track, though, presented me with an unexpected surprise.


The first of the guest spots was on this track, the first single that was streamed, titled "Absolute". And the guest vocals came from the legend that is Devin Townsend (Strapping Young Lad, The Devin Townsend Project, general musical genius). A guest spot that I didn't expect to hear on a hardcore record at all, but a welcome one. And it fits. It fits so well. The track out of nowhere gets slow and sludgy, and Devin's vocals creep in alongside Neufields. It adds an eerie feel to the track, and completely adds to the overall impact. All of the tracks that follow are all unique and stand out in their own way, but all sound like they belong together on this album. The fast paced hardcore riffing and soaring choruses of "Somewhere Somehow", the whirlwind of thrash on "Livid, I'm Prime", the Gojira esque groove and all out mosh fest that is "I'll Be That". Album closer "Moment In Time" is a musical journey through everything you've just listened to, starting off gentle and soothing you into thinking it's a ballad. That is, until it all of a sudden explodes into blistering guitar tones, pounding drums and vicious vocals, before slowing right back down again to give you a bit of recovery time. But it leaves you hungry for more. It makes you want to listen again. Outsider explores every corner of the genre and isn't afraid to draw inspiration from outside of it, and weaves it all together to create an absolute belter of an album.


If you haven't listened to Comeback Kid before, this is the perfect album to start with. It has everything. If you're a hardcore fan, you'll love it. If you're a punk fan, you'll love it. If you're a metal fan, you'll love it. If Stick To Your Guns, A Day To Remember and Hatebreed somehow managed to have a baby, Comeback Kid would be that baby. Although I think in some of those cases Comeback Kid actually came first, so that doesn't really work. But you get what I mean.

I've been more impressed by this album than I thought I was going to be, and it's been a welcome surprise. It's without doubt going to be regularly listened to over the course of the month. The album came out on September 8th (at time of post, yesterday), and you can find it on iTunes, Spotify, Deezer and everywhere else you can think of. You can probably grab it in stores like HMV too if you want to cop a physical copy. 

Also, if they play anywhere near you, grab a ticket.
I'll see you in the pit.
Maybe.
I'm getting on a bit and I'm a lot more afraid of flailing limbs than I used to be.
Maybe just see you at the bar. If you buy a drink.
I guess you might not need to if you don't get thirsty.
Erm.
I'll just see you there I guess.

D.S
x

No comments:

Post a Comment