Wednesday 9 May 2018

Palm Reader - Braille

If you're yet to hear of Palm Reader, this is the perfect time to get yourself acquainted. The Nottingham based mentalists have been knocking about since 2011, but their newest record Braille knocks all their past material out of the park. It's a master stroke of unease, anger, passion, beauty and calm. A frantic journey through the senses. I reviewed their single Swarm a few months ago for Invicta Magazine (you can read that review HERE), so I already had excitement brewing for the release of the full length. But nothing could truly prepare me for what I heard. It is not the record I expected at all.


Swarm completely readied my palette for the record when I first heard it towards the end of February. A whirlwind of manic drums and frenzied riffs, all with an underlying sense of dirt and grit. Married with the enormous chorus melodies, there was nothing to dislike. It sounded, to me at least, like a cross between Every Time I Die, Norma Jean and The Dillinger Escape Plan, which just happen to be 3 of my favourite bands of all time. I mean they've always sounded like that, but the initial listen of this track sucker punched me right in the gut and I was hooked. Then came the release of the rest of the record, and it did not disappoint. Quite the opposite, in fact. It seriously impressed me. The Turn is a modern metalcore slice of genius, flowing in and out of enormous riffs and serene stripped back atmospherics before erupting into a simple yet crushing sledgehammer of an outro. Coalesce is a 6 minute epic, demonstrating the bands grasp on dynamics and flaunting their ability to build suspense. Like A Wave is a thrashy and punishing affair from the get go, featuring breakneck verses, dirty riffs and a dark yet catchy chorus. The standout tracks here, though, are the 2 that close the album. Clockwork is a slow burning ember, gradually growing and rising before exploding into a storm of pummelling drums and gigantic chords. Album ender A Lover, A Shadow is almost like a combination of the 9 tracks that have preceded it rolled into one. Everything that you heard running up to this point is on show here, acting almost like a conclusion. The aggressive and dirty riffs, the soaring clean vocals, the sense of unpredictability, the serene and beautiful calm; its all here, and it's all been expertly woven together. As the final bass note and cymbal crash rings out, you find yourself wanting to listen all over again. And that's exactly what I've been doing. Numerous times. For weeks.


Not only are Palm Reader great on record, but they put on one hell of a live show. They've racked up quite the reputation over the last few years for the ferocity and musicianship they exert when they perform which, as a witness, I can confirm isn't just hearsay. They're touring the UK and Ireland in July and August this year, and I highly recommend that you attend. One of the most underrated bands in the UK scene. Pay attention to these guys, you won't regret it.

D.S
x

No comments:

Post a Comment