Monday 28 August 2017

What I've Been Listening To - August 2017

This month has been a solid month for music. Some really strong releases from some bands I love, and I've rediscovered some absolute gems whilst me and the boys were on tour. We play this game called "The A-Z Game" when we're in the van, where you go through the alphabet naming songs but never duplicating artists or bands. Passes time in the van and also stops us from trying to murder each other (We're all friends really. Apart from Adam, we all think he's a dick. Not really. Or do we.....). The albums below are the ones that have stuck out for me the most over the course of the month.



Neck Deep - The Peace And The Panic


Possibly my favourite album of this genre to have come out so far this year. I've followed these Mancunian pop punk heroes for a number of years now, ever since the Rain In July EP. The absolute balls to the wall punchiness about them is what made them stand out for me. Compared to all the other pop punk around at the time, they stood out and started to carve their route to the top of the game very much on their own. If you listen to their back catalogue in order, you can hear the progression and development of their sound creeping in with every single record. And they have absolutely found it with The Peace And The Panic. Without a doubt, this is their most polished record, seamlessly weaving from the punchy, anthemic choruses of single Happy Judgement Day to the stripped back, emotive heartbreakers like Wish You Were Here with absolute ease. I was also excited to hear Don't Wait when I saw that Sam Carter of Architects had done guest vocals on it, and my God it's good. I wasn't sure how it would come across, but Sam is nothing short of perfect and his vocal sits on the track like icing on a cake. Only the icing is cheese and the cake is a pizza. If you're a fan of the genre and haven't given Neck Deep a spin yet, start with this album and work your way backwards. You will fall in love with this record.


Wage War - Deadweight


Good Lord. What. An. Album. Tinged with Nu-Metal stylings throughout but retaining a solid modern metal tone and an absolutely punishing pace, Wage War have smashed it out of the park with Deadweight. If I had to describe it in one word, that word would be HEAVY. And that word covers every aspect of the album. Firstly, I want to mention the production, which is one of the best I've ever heard. You can literally hear every single instrument. It is so unbelievably weighty, but you can hear everything breathing, and it completely adds to the impact. Secondly, the songs. Two Years and Southbound are perfect album starters, setting the tone for how the rest of the record is going to progress, effortlessly combining crushing riffs and soaring melodies, a taste of what's to come. Tracks like Deadweight and Disdain have an almost Slipknot punch to them (which is absolutely NOT an issue), whilst tracks like Witness and Gravity provide a sense of calm amongst all the chaos. This record literally has everything. Like metal? Don't ignore Wage War.


The Gospel Youth - Always Lose


This is the first album I checked out by these guys, but I'd been hearing good things so my expectations were pretty high. This album has become one of my most regularly listened to since its release in July. Hailing from the South Coast of the UK, The Gospel Youth have made their debut very hard to ignore. Right from the off, I Will Deliver You To The Fireflies is a beautiful, heartbreaking start, and perfectly sets up the rest of the album. The dynamics are on point, rising and falling in all the right places, really keeping you on the edge of your seat throughout (unless you're stood up when you listen. Edge of the curb maybe?), and you continue to do so with everything that follows. Gin And Black Coffee has some really smart songwriting and intricate melodies, almost Disney-esque in places, both vocally and instrumentally. Songs like single Moods Like English Weather really pulse and breathe, constantly changing pace and exploding with a huge chorus. The album as a whole really reminds me of Fools and Worthless Liars era Deaf Havana, but with a slightly softer and less harsh tone throughout. If you love that album (I certainly do, it's my favourite Deaf Havana album), then this might become your new favourite album.


Reuben - Racecar Is Racecar Backwards


I remember when I first discovered this album. I bought an issue of Rock Sound, and this particular issue came with a compilation CD. I don't remember what it was called, but it was blue, and the first track was No One Wins The War. And thus, my love affair with Reuben began. I still think they're one of the most underrated bands of their time, and this album is still one of the most underrated albums in existence. It's in my top 10 albums of all time. Without a doubt. The album showcases so many different sides of the band, but without straying so far away that songs sound out of place. Blending absolute radio anthems like singles Freddy Kreuger and Moving To Blackwater with heavier hard hitters like Our Song and Missing Fingers, whilst also slotting in slower soothers such as Song For Saturday and the album closer Dusk. They are the post hardcore band that didn't get enough attention. In my opinion, there's no one like them, they're so unique, and this was the album that started it all. They split up a number of years ago after releasing their 3rd album In Nothing We Trust, and their loyal following has been dreaming of a reunion. I am a part of that. If you've never checked them out before and you like bands such as Alexisonfire, Poison The Well, Taking Back Sunday and The Bled, give them a go. You won't regret it.




I'll do another one of these next month. If anyone has any music they'd recommend, let me know, I'm always open to give anything a go. Literally anything. My iTunes has everything from Drake to Dying Fetus.

Thanks for reading!

D.S
x

No comments:

Post a Comment